View industry events, share knowledge about zero emission buildings
or get in touch to add your own event to our calendar.
- This event has passed.
Passive House Design and Construction: 120A
December 12, 2019 @ 8:30 am - December 15, 2019 @ 4:30 pm
120A: Passive House Design and Construction is a four-day course that covers the technical, economic and policy elements of Passive House buildings. Participants will learn how to apply Passive House principles in the context of building physics, windows and mechanical systems. Numberous case studies, both domestic and international, will be used todemonsetrate current best practices and teach concepts of costs assessment. Particpants will also have the opportunity to solidify their learning with interactive exercises throughout the course.
120A can be taken as a standalone course even if you don’t intend to write the Certified Passive House Designer/Consultant Exam. If you intend to write the exam we strongly recommend you take 120A, 120B and 120C prior to writing the exam.
- Building science and energy use, overview of Passive House principles
- In-depth look at insulation and airtightness design and construction techniques
- Thermal bridging principles, elimination of thermal bridges through better design and construction
- Window placement and construction, window components and efficiency
- Ventilation system design principles, components, distribution and operations
- Heating and cooling a Passive House building, design principles, components, distribution and operation
- Economics of Passive House design and construction, cost and risk reductions, marketability
- Quality assurance and testing
- Building certification process
Building industry professionals and individuals who are going to be involved in the design and construction of Passive House buildings or EnerPHit (retrofit) projects, including architects, engineers, design professionals, site supervisors, general contractors, building inspectors, city planners, homeowners, investors and suppliers of high performance building materials that may be used in Passive House construction.
Prerequisites/Required Background Knowledge
There are no prerequisites for this course, however it will be assumed that the participants can read blueprints and have a basic understanding of construction terminology. This course does include some use of mathematical formulas.
**Please note: Course 110: Introduction to Passive House High Performance Buildings is not required to take this course.
Learning Resources Provided
- Course manal
- Digital copy of course slides
Total number of learning hours: 28
- AIBC Core Learning Units: 26
- PIBC Organized & Structured CPL Units: 26
- BC Housing (HPO) Training Hours: 28
- EGBC Credits: self-reported
Click here to register.